At Strive & Uplift, we are committed to making sure that all people, regardless of their means, can be a part of our community! This means removing barriers like cost together so everyone can easily and sustainably access our services and resources. At the same time, we want to ensure our coaches are properly compensated for their labor and can have a good quality of life. That’s why we use a sliding scale – to remove barriers and care for each other!
We offer name-your-price memberships so you can set the right monthly recurring cost according to your access to resources. Everyone deserves access to high-quality movement education and support, and this method of individually setting membership rates allows us to use wealth redistribution to provide access to everyone!
How name your price memberships work
- People with more access to money, family wealth, and overall financial stability pay more for the same services than those who are less financially secure. That way, everyone pays closer to a similar percentage of their expendable income for our services. While the world still runs on money, this is the best way to ensure our coaches can continue providing awesome instruction and support to everyone!
- As you decide whether you should pay more, less, or the same amount as our starting rates, you’ll consider the following:
- Your household income
- Your access to family assets & wealth, or assistance you provide to your family
- Your debt to income ratio
- The relative costs of meeting your basic needs (e.g. do you need to spend more than others on healthcare?)
How we use resources
We spend our time and money as a business on values-centered projects and member support! Your membership goes to:
- Standard costs of doing business like insurance, bookkeeping, and client management software
- Connecting with our community through our website, mailing lists, and social media channels
- Web accessibility improvements by video captioning and website design
- Coach development to improve instruction and create a welcoming atmosphere for all bodies!
Determining what to pay
You can use this chart to help decide what the right membership is for you. Everyone’s financial situation is informed by the interactions between income, wealth, debt, and varying costs of basic living expenses. Consider where you fall in each of the categories presented to determine your overall financial position.
This chart is presented solely as a guide to help you decide the membership rate that’s best for you. It’s impossible to capture everything, which means you may have specific circumstances that aren’t reflected here. Ultimately, the choice is yours — we’re trying to lower barriers, not put more in your way!
|Income||– Unemployment without UI or disability|
– Employed marginally or in a criminalized sector (not by choice)
|– Unemployed with UI or disability|
– Underemployed compared to cost of living
|Stably employed at around the median income, with ability to cover unpredicted expenses||Stably employed above the median income, consistently have disposable income||Stably employed well above the median income, consistently have plenty of disposable income|
|Family of Origin Assets / Wealth||– Family has no assets or debt is more than assets|
– No access to family
– Family relies on me for help with basic living expenses
|– Family has some assets|
– I sometimes help my family of origin or chosen family with basic living expenses
|Family has assets, like a house they are paying off||– Family has many assets, like a paid-off house|
– I will inherit a house and/or a small amount of money
|– Family has many assets, like investments|
– I have or will inherit wealth
– Someone else paid/pays my housing or down payment
|Debt:Income Ratio||My debt is from basic living expenses such as food, rent, utilities, healthcare, childcare||My debt, including student loans or car loans, are more than my yearly income||My debt, including student loans or car loans, is about the same amount as my yearly income||Less debt than yearly income||No debt|
Ready to name your price for your membership? This page opened in a new tab, so return to the original and plug in your price! Thanks for taking the time to engage intentionally with this.